The facebook campaign located at www.facebook.com/groups/hazardoushomeproducts, advocates for the education and removal of hazardous home products. Deadly chemicals and toxins can hide in consumer products within every room of your home. What many parents and homeowners do not realize is that fatalities can result from mishandling or misunderstanding several home product categories from house plants to over-the-counter medications. Follow The Pro Dad as we continue to research and investigate the potentially fatal effects of items in your home.
Yes, House Plants…
As humans, we breathe thousands of liters of air per day, and plants can help clean the air. Plants are beautiful, adding lovely color to your home, but we need to ensure our children strive in a home free of toxic, hazardous chemicals. When a child eats specific plants, the effects can be fatal. Take the proper precaution and move plants and other dangerous home items out from the available reach of children.
Putting plants in your home is very common, and several plant options are available for sale (home products). But plants can be fatal to kids and pets. Certain types of Iris, Daffodil, Ivey, and Lilys can be poisonous if eaten. Plants often contain toxins or dangerous chemicals as protection from humans, insects, or animals. Keep plants out of reach of your children! Not only are houseplants potentially deadly, but in this article, we will discuss several other home items that can lead to fatal outcomes. (Mattern et al., 2017)
As reported by the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), Extension cords are responsible for 3,300 residential fires each year. The cause of fires in the home is often due to overloading your electrical systems. The Pro Dad Recommends: Only use extension cords for a limited time, and make sure to keep your children away from operating extension cords. (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, n.d.)
The US National Library of Medicine (National Institutes of Health), provide insight regarding heatstroke caused by misuse of electric blankets. Heatstroke, the most severe threat caused by electric blankets. One fatal example is, “a 13-year-old girl who was found dead in bed on an electric blanket, with rectal temperature at 41 degrees C (105.8 degrees F).” (Zhou et al., 2006)
Remember to clean lint out of your dryer after each use, failure to clean the dryer is the leading cause of home clothes dryer fires. According to the U.S. Fire administration, failing to clean lint is responsible for 2,900 annual fryer fires each year, $35 million in property loss, 100 injuries, and five deaths per year.
The U.S. Fire Administration provide the following safety tips:
- If a clothes dryer has a loose or damaged filter, DO NOT USE
- Be cautious to no overload a dryer
- Be careful not to dry any materials containing rubber, plastic, or foam
- DO NOT attempt to dry fiber glass materials.
- DO NOT attempt to place any flammable items (e.g. alcohol, gasoline, cooking oils)
- If you leave the home, DO NOT leave the clothes dryer running.
(U.S. Fire Administration, n.d.)
Not simply Midol, but according to the CLD (Clinical Liver Disease, any medication with APAP (acetaminophen) including Vicks, Mucinex, Tylenol, Pamprin, Excedrin, or Robitussin. The CLD notes, “APAP is also a dose‐dependent hepatotoxin that is present in over 600 marketed products and can cause acute pericentral liver injury when taken in doses exceeding 6 to 10 grams/day. APAP overdose is the most common cause of drug‐induced liver injury in the United States…” (Khurram, 2014)
The Pro Dad recommends: Keep medicines stored securely away from children and pets.
Most toothpaste manufacturers will place a warning on the label. Ingesting too much toothpaste, according to MedlinePlus, can lead to intestinal blockage. The following symptoms may occur if an individual swallows a large amount of toothpaste containing fluoride: convulsions, Drooling, Heart attack, Slow heart rate, Tremors, Vomiting, and overall weakness. If you or a child ingest too much, contact 911 or the Poison Help hotline (1-800-222-1222) from anywhere in the domestic U.S. (MedlinePlus, n.d.)
Stay tuned for more insight from The Pro Dad. In our next post, we will investigate everyday household items such as Air Conditioners, Your Flat-Screen TV, Magnets, Your Snow Blower, Storage Chests, and even your Christmas Tree. This Facebook page advocates for the education and removal of hazardous home products, please feel free to share, comment, or request research on a specific household product.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (n.d.) Healthy Housing Reference Manual. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/publications/books/housing/cha11.htm
Khurram Bari M.D. Robert J. Fontana M.D, (July 25, 2014). Clinical Liver Disease A Multimedia Review Journal. Acetaminophen overdose: What practitioners need to know. Retrieved from https://aasldpubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/cld.373
Macaluso, Beth Anne. Mattern, Jessica. (August 9, 2017) 16 common Household Items That Could Kill You. Retrieved from https://ww.redbookmag.com/home/a38460/household-items-that- could-kill/
MedlinePlus. (n.d.) Toothpaste overdose. Retrieved from https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002745.htm
U.S. Fire Administration. (n.d) Clothes dryer fire safety outreach materials. Retrieved from https://www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/clothes_dryers.html
Zhou Y, Li L, Liu L, Jia D, Zhang X, Fowler DR, Xu X. (December 27, 2006). Heat stroke deaths caused by electric blankets: case report and review of the literature. Pubmed.gov. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17133030